I’ve made my share of savory popcorn snacks before. Crab boil popcorn for example has long been a favorite of mine. This time I decided to go the sweet route and add in Anita’s favorite: red velvet cake. It’s just that easy too. Make a simple red velvet cake from a box mix (or just buy a cake or cupcakes from your bakery) and add to popped popcorn. Every bite has that wonderful chocolaty red velvet flavor and hey, it looks cool too.
You could use any cake recipe you want. This is also a great way to use up any cake that you might have leftover from a birthday party. It is a messy (but tasty) way to eat cake, so make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand.
I use an old Stir Crazy popper for making popcorn. It’s easy and always makes perfectly popped kernels. Nothing fancy but it does the job.
Also try my crazy-good crab boil popcorn.
Red Velvet Popcorn
- 8 cups popped popcorn from 1/2 cup un-popped kernels
- 3 cups leftover red velvet cake with icing, curmbled
- Place the popcorn in a large sealable container.
- Sprinkle in the cake crumbs.
- Seal and shake the bowl. A lot. A whole lot. You want the cake to get evenly distributed throughout the popcorn.