Give me some perfectly cooked shrimp in a wonderful tasty broth and I’m one happy guy. This copycat Bubba Gump tangy honey shrimp is what regular ole shrimp stir fry wishes it could be. Packed with flavor, it’s the kind of dish that disappears before you know it. And hey, it’s from one of my favorite restaurant destinations, Bubba Gump.
We’ve had the joy of eating at a number of the Bubba Gump restaurants. It’s always been a good experience. This copycat Bubba Gump tangy honey shrimp is just one example of all the great food on the menu. You should stop by one near you for lunch or dinner soon. You’ll have a blast! Oh, and watch the movie classic Forrest Gump again so you’re ready for the trivia questions you’ll be asked at the restaurant!
Also try my Bubba Gump Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp.
Copycat Bubba Gump Tangy Honey Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large fresh shrimp peeled, deveined
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger root peeled, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro plus more, for garnish
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add shrimp, garlic, and ginger root and stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink.
- In a small bowl combine the broth, cornstarch, honey, ketchup, white vinegar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper flake. Add to the shrimp and bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in the sesame oil, chopped cilantro, and green onions.
- Serve over rice timbales, garnished with chopped cilantro.
- Combine 3 cups water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Lightly spray 4 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with non-stick spray. Press rice into bottoms and invert onto serve plates.