Muffuletta sandwiches are what I would have on a deserted if I could choose only one food. I’d even go through the ‘trouble’ of making my own olive salad. When I first ran across this idea for a Memphis-style muffuletta I made a weird face. Huh? Why are you messing with my favorite? The answer was soon obvious: because this is really, really good. Similar to a muffuletta in many ways, but different too.
The creamy olive salad in this Memphis-style muffuletta is totally different than a traditional muffuletta mix but it has many of the same flavors. The artichoke hearts are a totally different twist and quite honestly I might find myself adding them to my homemade muffuletta olive salad too.The olive salad mix is also great on grilled hot dogs. If you prefer the original, try my more traditional muffuletta sandwich.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup chopped green olives
- 3/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 " round loaf Italian bread a regular-shaped loaf works just fine too
- Your favorite thin-sliced deli meats
- American cheese slices
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and salad dressing.
- Fold in the olives, artichoke and celery. Season with the pepper.
- Slice bread horizontally. I like to remove some of the insides of the bread, but that's optional.
- Spoon half of the olive mixture onto the bottom half of the bread.
- Add the cheese and meats.
- Top with the remaining olive mix and top bread half.
- Wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.