I cannot find pre-made taco salad bowls anywhere. I’ve checked every grocery store within 200 miles of our house. Ok, well, maybe 5 miles but still, they’re nowhere to be found! A quick Google search and I came upon a video from Food Wishes that is the best (BEST!) step-by-step approach to making your own salad bowls at home! So I did it too and they were fantastic. Perfectly crunchy, not oily and just the right size for our taco salad dinner (using my slow cooker taco meat)!
I used 8″ tortillas when making homemade taco salad bowls. They fit perfectly around 4″ ramekins to get their shape. If you’re after a bigger salad bowl, you’ll obviously need bigger tortillas. And bigger ramekins. You can’t fit a 10″ or 12″ tortilla around a 4″ ramekin, so plan ahead!
Oh, and only flour tortillas will do for this approach.
Homemade Taco Salad Bowls
- 2 8" flour tortillas
- vegetable or canola oil
- 2 4" ramekins
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush the tortillas with oil on both sides.
- Place ramekins upside down on a baking sheet. Cover with the tortillas. Gently push down on the sides to shape the tortilla around the ramekin.
- Tear off 2 8" x 16" pieces of foil. Fold in half to form an 8" x 8" rectangle. Place on top of the tortilla and press down all sides. The foil will keep the tortilla shaped like a bowl.
- Flip over the ramekins. Transfer to the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the ramekins from the bowls. Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the tortilla from the foil.
- Carefully remove tortilla from foil. Flatten out the foil and place bowl on top. Bake another 8-10 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Flip bowls upright and bake another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack to let cool to room temperature. Bowls will become crispy as they cool.