Note: This salad is best the day you make it. If you have to let set overnight, leave out the bacon and green onion and only add them right before you serve it.
Also try my grilled steakhouse potato salad.
Baked Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes skin on (try to pick potatoes that are roughly all the same size)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 pieces thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions sliced thin
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and cook until they are just fork tender. Do not overcook them. You want them to have some bite. Remove from water and let cool.
- Combine sour cream, mayo, vinegar and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Cut potatoes into cubes or fourths (or eighths if they are large), however you want to serve them.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Strain the bacon drippings and return 3 tablespoons of the drippings to the pan.
- Add potatoes to skillet over high heat. Let cook until starting to brown on the edges, flipping occasionally. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place potatoes into a large bowl. Add the dressing and gently fold to combine.
- Break the bacon into small pieces and add it and the green onion and serve.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.