There are some things were self-control just doesn’t happen for me. This smoked Chex™ mix is one of them. Put a big bowl of it in front of me and it’ll be gone soon. Specially the bagel chips. There’s something about the bagel chips in Chex™ mix, specially after they’ve been smoked. The smoke flavor is not overwhelming, but it’s there, and it’s different in a wonderful way. The smoke compliments traditional Chex ™ mix flavors perfectly.
The cereal in this smoked Chex™ definitely soaks up the smoke, so do not go crazy with the wood in your smoker. Use a very small chunk, smaller than would fit in your palm, and use only a lighter wood. No mesquite or hickory here, go for the lighter fruit woods.
For another great snack idea, try my smoked olives.
Smoked Chex™ Mix
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup small pretzels or pretzel pieces
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup small bagel chips
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt I used some of my homemade mix, see below
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Homemade seasoned salt (makes more than you'll need for the Chex mix)
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 250 F. Add only one small piece of light wood, such as apple or peach. If you are using a smoker that has a water pan, such as the Weber Smokey Mountain, do not fill the pan with water.
- Combine the cereals, pretzels, nuts and bagel chips in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir.
- Combine the seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder and slowly whisk into the melted butter.
- Drizzle the butter mixture over the cereal and gently toss to coat.
- Place into a disposable 9" x 13" deep aluminum pan and place on the top rack of the smoker.
- Smoke for 1 hour or until the mixture turns golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely before serving, or store for up to 2 weeks.
Homemade seasoned salt
- Combine all ingredients. Store in an air-tight container.