A recent episode, Monster Menus, highlighted the Nosh Box truck from Cleveland, Ohio. The fried bologna sandwich they made looked fantastic. I had to make it. So I did.
This is one great fried bologna sandwich. Like eating a burger, with creamy mayo, mixed greens and nice cold tomato slices. Then there’s the just-brown fried bologna. All on grilled cheese-like Texas toast. Really good. And very easy to make too.
The second time I made these Cleveland fried bologna sandwiches I substituted a couple of nice chunks of iceberg lettuce for the mixed greens. I like the sandwich even better with the extra crunch of the iceberg.
Cleveland Fried Bologna Sandwich
- 2 thick slices bologna
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 thick slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mixed greens
- 2 to mato slices
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bologna and brown lightly on both sides. Remove.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of the bread. Put butter-side down into the skillet and cook until golden and crisp. Remove.
- Slather non-buttered sides of the bread with mayonnaise.
- Top bottom bread slice with bologna, greens, and tomato and other piece of bread. Serve.