Coffee and beef go together like…. uh… well all other things that go together great. The coffee flavor mellows and enriches the beefy taste. My favorite way to use this coffee rub for beef is on smoked beef brisket. I give the meat a nice generous coating of the rub and let it sit overnight before smoking it until nice and incredibly tender. Perfect. And that’s not the only great use of this rub, either. A little sprinkle on burgers just before grilling them really gives them a fantastic rich different flavor.
You can use whatever coffee suits your fancy, but for me, the best is the coffee from Cafe du Monde. It has a wonderful chicory flavor that is incredibly rich and compliments beef perfectly. You can now find Cafe du Monde coffee in most grocery stores, thankfully, so you don’t have to go to New Orleans to get it. However, going to New Orleans is never a bad idea, so next time you go, bring back some coffee.
Coffee Rub for Beef
- 2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup garlic powder
- 1/2 cup onion powder
- 1/3 cup ground coffee
- Combine all ingredients.
- Store in an air-tight container.
For smoking beef cuts
- Rub all sides of the beef with prepared yellow mustard.
- Apply the rub liberally. Wrap in foil or place in a resealable container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to 12 hours, before smokng.
- Sprinkle the rub on both sides of the burger patties before cooking.