These mushrooms were stuffed with what may be the perfect combination of ingredients. Herby pesto. Sweet acidic tomatoes. Crunchy Panko breadcrumbs. And cheese. Parmesan and Asiago. I made the mushrooms on my Char-Broil Big Easy, but you can do them in the oven (at 350 F) or on your gas or charcoal grill just as easily. I used medium-sized portobello mushrooms, but if you want to serve these as appetizers you can use mini-bellos instead. They’ll disappear off the plate, that’s for sure!
If you don’t have sun-dried tomatoes you can substitute diced roasted red bell peppers or pimentos. I really liked the nuttiness of Asiago cheese, but if you find it to be too strong, a nice shredded Mozzarella will work just fine instead.
Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 4 large or 8 medium portobello mushrooms stem and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup pre-made pesto sauce
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes with oil chopped
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheese Mozzarella, Swiss, or my favorite for these mushrooms, Asiago
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Wipe the mushrooms off and brush both sides with the oil.
- Combine the pesto, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes and Panko in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pesto mixture between the mushrooms and top with the cheese.
- Place into the Big Easy basket and cook for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.