Smoked Scotch eggs have been on my bucket list for a while. I finally had a little room on my smoker so I jumped at the opportunity. As easy as they are to make, Scotch eggs are really amazing. It’s like breakfast in a bite. Perfectly hard-boiled eggs, smoked breakfast sausage, and a bit of BBQ sauce for dipping. They look great and they taste great. Awesome appetizers for your next cookout.
If you want a bit of kick to your smoked Scotch eggs add a bit of cayenne pepper or your favorite spicy rub to the bread crumbs. Not a lot, just enough to bring a little spiciness.
Smoked Scotch Eggs
- 14 eggs divided
- 2 pounds bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- BBQ sauce warmed, for serving
- Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F.
- Hard-boil 12 of the eggs and remove the shells.
- Combine the sausage and minced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 12 equally-sized balls and flatten.
- Place an egg in the middle of each flattened sausage patty and wrap the meat around the egg. The egg should be completely covered by the sausage.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Place breadcrumbs into another shallow bowl.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the flour. Shake off excess.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the egg. Shake off excess.
- Roll sausage-covered eggs in the bread crumbs. Shake off excess.
- Smoke for 2 1/2 hours
- Slice eggs lengthwise and serve with warmed BBQ sauce for dunking.