It was one of those days. Too much to do, and just not enough time to put together a complicated meal. And worse, it was mighty cold out. And snowing. The best solution to my problems? This slow cooker spicy kielbasa cabbage soup. Yes, three ingredients. That’s it. Great Campbell’s spicy V8 flavor (you could substitute any V8 flavor that you love!), with yummy kielbasa sausage. Oh, and cabbage. It’s deceptively good, actually, and not what you might expect from something so easy. It’s perfect for a busy day.
I prefer to brown most meats before adding them to the slow cooker. It adds a bit of texture and color and better flavor, in my opinion. But you don’t have to brown the kielbasa for this slow cooker spicy kielbasa cabbage soup first.
Don’t let the ‘spicy’ part scare you. For us, at least, this soup did not come out overly spicy at all. The flavors mellow a bit as the soup cooks throughout the day.
Also try my slow cooker tortellini soup.
Slow Cooker Spicy Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded
- 1 64 ounce can V8 Spicy Hot
- 2 14 ounce packages Kielbasa sausage cut into 1/2" rounds (lightly browned in a skillet with a splash of oil, if desired)
- Add cabbage to bottom of slow cooker.
- Add juice, followed by the sausage.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring every hour or so.