These creamed spinach deviled eggs were definitely the star of the show when we made them for our Thanksgiving dinner. They looked elegant and they tasted fancy. And yes, I admit, several of them never made it to the platter thanks to some ‘quality control’ by myself and Anita. Hey, you have to make sure they pass the muster (and boy do they)!
You can use frozen spinach if you cannot find fresh. Just make sure that it is completely thawed and drained very well. We spinach will make the filling far too thin.
If you’re taking the creamed spinach deviled eggs to a get-together you can pipe them before leaving. They seem to travel pretty well. I would wait until you get to your destination before adding the crumbled feta.
Also try my jalapeno popper deviled eggs.
Creamed Spinach Deviled Eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 hard-boiled eggs cooled, peeled
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic and saute until softened and starting to turn golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the spinach, stirring. Cook until wilted and bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cream cheese. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Slice the eggs in half. Transfer the egg yolks to the spinach mixture and stir until smooth. You might have to add a bit more mayonnaise. You want the mixture to be just thin enough to pipe thru a piping bag or icing tool.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag or icing tool and pipe into the center of each egg.
- Serve topped with the crumbled feta.