I could not be more delighted with this Ragin’ Cajun Beer can chicken that I made on the Char-Broil Big Easy. I’ve made tons (literally) of chicken on my Big Easy, the best poultry cooker around. But for some reason I’ve neglected to try beer can chicken on it. Well, let me tell you, this is flat-out great.
Crazy moist. Even moister than the Big Easy usually does, which is pretty darned moist. And flavor? Incredible. Just incredible. And crunchy skin. A big bonus!
I picked up a Char-Broil folding chicken roaster to help make this Ragin’ Cajun beer can chicken and am I ever glad I did. It made making beer can chicken an absolute breeze. You simple insert a standard 12 ounce beer can (along with any flavorings you want) into the center of the holder then fold up the ‘arms’. The can is locked into place, which is a great thing if you’ve ever made beer can chicken before. The cans can be flimsy and crush or spill. This holder solves that problem and then some. The chicken then slides down over the holder and beer can. Easy. Very easy.
I used a turkey basket (which has a door for easy access), but the basket that comes with your Big Easy works just fine too. You can see the can sticking out of the bottom of the chicken in the picture above.
For something different, try my beer can cabbage on the Big Easy. It’s different for sure! And on the off chance that you have leftover chicken, beer can chicken jambalaya is a great way to use it up! If you want to skip the beer can but still have that great beer can chicken flavor, try my beer can seasoned chicken. For the real deal, though, also try my Honey Brown beer can chicken!Love your Big Easy as much I love mine? Check out my Big Easy Add-Ons page and my free Big Easy eCookbook!
Ragin' Cajun Beer Can Chicken on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 4 pound whole chicken trimmed of any hanging skin and fat, giblets etc removed
- 2 12 ounce cans beer (regular ole great American beer. No funky shaped cans!)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Rinse the chicken in cold water. Transfer to a resealable bag or container.
- Whisk together 1 can of beer and the liquid smoke. Add to the container of chicken. Seal and refrigerate for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes to marinade the chicken.
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry.
- Rub the chicken down with a bit of oil, getting in every nook and cranny.
- Combine the Old Bay and Cajun seasonings.
- Rub half of the seasonings all over the outside and inside of the chicken.
- Open the remaining beer and take a few good swigs. Then add the remaining rub to the beer can. Put your finger over the opening and shake a bit to combine.
- Place the beer can in the holder, if using. Latch it in.
- Carefully slide the chicken over the beer can.
- Transfer the chicken to a Char-Broil Big Easy basket and lower into the cooker.
- Cook until the chicken is done, reading 175 F in multiple places using an instant-read thermometer.
- Let rest 15 minutes before carving.