This is my go-to po boy bread dough recipe from the bread machine. No way am I enough of a baker to make a dough from scratch without a bread machine. I could never make something as good as this dough. It makes for the perfect po boy. The bread gets a nice crunchy, but thin, exterior. The insides are light, soft and airy.
I’ve made this po boy bread from a bread machine at least 30 times and every time it has come out great. Well, or it did after I got the hang of rolling it into a nice loaf shape. I also learned that cutting the slits isn’t just for making it pretty, the bread seems to keep a better shape.
To get the slits just right you need to use a very, very sharp knife. You don’t want to manhandle the dough cutting it. You want the knife to go through it effortlessly.
Po Boy Bread from the Bread Machine
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups plus a little more, if needed bread flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
For the glaze
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- Place ingredients into your bread machine in the order listed.
- Process on the dough settings. After 5-10 minutes check the consistency of the dough. It should be sticky but not stick to the sides. If it is too dry add water, but in 1/2 teaspoon increments. If it is too wet add more flour 1 teaspoon at at time.
- When the dough cycle is completed remove the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle that is approximately 16" wide and 12" deep.
- Roll up the dough along the long edge.
- Pinch the seam and ends closed and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet, seam-side down.
- Cover with a cheesecloth and place into a warm place to rise until doubled, about an hour.
- After about 30 minutes of rising preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Uncover the bread and, using a very sharp knife, make a few 1/2" deep slits along the top of the dough, about 2" apart.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before slicing.