I have a habit of copying recipes from restaurants or food trucks I hear about or see on TV. Here lately I’ve been on a major campaign to copy some of the crazy great dogs from Duke’s Gourmet Dogs in Minster, Ohio, which closed recently. Warm chili. Crunchy potato straws (an ingredient I haven’t had in years). And my favorite, ooey gooey cheese sauce. Wiz dogs are crazy good.
Like I’ve said before, if it’s going to be messy to eat, it’s going to taste great and Wiz dogs are definitely messy and great!
I was tempted to add a few chopped jalapenos to these Wiz dogs. I like some kick to my dogs but I went another route and used spicy cheese sauce instead. Nothing beats cheese on a hot dog. Except for maybe macaroni-and-cheese. Yes, on a hot dog. Try my Charlie Mac dog too.
- All-beef hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- No-bean chili warmed
- Potato straws
- Cheese sauce warmed (I prefer the zesty cheese sauce from La Preferida when not making my own)
- Sliced pickled jalapenos optional
- Fire up your grill and cook the dogs and warm the buns.
- Assemble hot dogs by adding weiners to the buns. Top with plenty of chili, potato straws and plenty of cheese sauce.
- Top with jalapeno slices, if desired.
- Serve with plenty of paper towels.