Roasted Spiral Potatoes
You'll need a cast iron skillet to make these roasted spiral potatoes. The larger the skillet, the more potatoes you will need. I used a 10" Lodge.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 5 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 8 -10 servings
- 4-5 Russet potatoes sliced (try to select potatoes that are all roughly the same sizes)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil plus a little more
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- Kosher salt freshly ground black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and paprika, all to taste
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1/2 stick butter melted
- Cheddar cheese shredded
- Sour cream and chopped green onions for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Lightly oil your skillet.
Lightly toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and the minced garlic
Layer potatoes around the edge of the skillet. You'll want to select pieces that are roughly the same size. Over lap the potatoes by about half, using one hand to add potatoes while the other hand keeps the potatoes in place. You'll want them to be at about a 60 degree angle, slightly angled back, following the contour of the skillet.
Once your first layer is done, add two more, each inside of the other. You might need four total layers depending on the size of your skillet and potatoes.
When you get to the end you'll have a little round 'hole' in the middle. Place a potato end (point-side up) in that spot to complete the arrangement.
Combine the seasonings and sprinkle over the tops of the potatoes. Don't be shy.
Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the top and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
Drizzle with the butter, raise the temperature to 425 F, and cook another 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Serve garnished with sour cream and green onions.