These smokehouse beans are so easy to make but come out just divine. Don't waste your money on canned barbecue beans. These are so much better.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Servings: 8 servings
- 8 slices thin-cut bacon cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 30 ounces canned kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup beer plus more, if needed
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Fire up your smoker for cooking at 225 F. I used plenty of hickory wood because I wanted a good amount of smoke flavor.
Cook the bacon pieces in a large pot or Dutch oven. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat (optional).
Add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a disposable pan and onto the smoker.
Smoke 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. If the beans get too thick, stir in a bit more beer.