This is a rather different way to make a traditional green bean casserole, thanks mostly to the cheddar cheese.
I always have problems with recipes that contain French-fried onions. I have to buy twice as many as the recipe calls for because I’ll eat half of them before they even make it into the casserole.
Also try my southern green beans.
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth 1 1/2 (14 ounce cans)
- 1/3 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 10 3/4 ounce cream of mushroom soup
- 1 2.8 ounce French-fried onion rings
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Boil the green beans in the chicken broth for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and saute.
- Add in the beans, soup, onion rings, and spices. Stir.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the cheese and bake another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Nutritional values are approximate.