Onions and bell peppers in a slaw, with a little vinegar kick and a little sweetness. That’s why this Carolina slaw is so good. And celery seed. I love celery seed (celery seed is one of my favorite ingredients in my Fire Eater rub). I make slaws often, just about any time of the year. They usually keep longer than a green salad. To keep your slaw lasting longer only dress the amount of slaw you are serving for a meal. Keep your leftover dressing separate so your slaw ingredients don’t get soggy overnight.
I ended up using some of this Carolina slaw to top some grilled Carolina hot dogs. Slaw on hot dogs (and pulled pork BBQ sandwiches) is almost a requirement. Love that crunch! And this slaw matches up perfectly with my Carolina chicken wings.
- 1 bag coleslaw mix 4-5 cups
- 1 small bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine the slaw mix, green pepper and onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Toss lightly before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.