Boy, crispy bacon… spicy Mexican chorizo sausage… cheese… I could actually just have these bacon-wrapped Mexican potatoes for dinner. By themselves. Nothing else. Just give me a platter of them and check on me in 15 minutes to see if I need more. They’re like grilled potato skins taken to a whole new level.
I love the spicy kick from chorizo. But, if you don’t, you can easily change these potatoes up to be a little more mellow by making them Italian-style. Substitute crumbled cooked mild Italian sausage for the chorizo, mozzarella for the queso fresco, and sour cream for the crema. Excellent!
Also try my grilled volcano potatoes.
Bacon-Wrapped Mexican Potatoes
Boy, crispy bacon… spicy Mexican chorizo sausage… cheese… I could actually just have these bacon-wrapped Mexican potatoes for dinner. By themselves. Nothing else.
Servings 20 potatoes
- 20 small red potatoes rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 cup Queso fresco shredded or crumbled
- 10 pieces bacon halved
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- green onions or cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Brush potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until tender, 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking (you can also make these in the oven, so keep your oven going if you’re going to cook these indoors).
- Meanwhile, crumble the chorizo into a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned. Remove from heat. Note: You want to get the chorizo fairly well crumbled. If you are having trouble doing so, just let the cooked chorizo cool a bit then pulss a few times in a food processor.
- Cut just enough of the bottom of each potato so that they can stand up straight. Then cut just enough off the top so you can scoop them out. Take a small mellon baller or spoon and spoon out the insides.
- In a bowl combine the chorizo and cheese and spoon into each potato.
- Wrap a halved piece of bacon around each potato and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on the grill over indirect heat and cook until the bacon starts to crisp, about 20 minutes, or bake in the oven at 425 F.
- Serve topped with a small dollop of Mexican crema or cream cheese and garnish with green onions or cilantro.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 799mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 101IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.