I have to admit, I can eat more than one of these delicious burgers without even blinking. There’s something about the sautéed onions and American cheese that just screams greatness! Simple, cheesy, dripping, messy. Just what a hamburger should be!
These onion burgers remind me a bit of the old diner-style burgers I used to get as a child, except that then the onions were sliced, and cooked quickly on a flat-top griddle. Incredibly good, and dripping with flavor. Instead, these are caramelized, bringing an almost sweetness to the burgers.
Looking for a little different way to make these? Check out my other version of onion burgers!
I have to admit, I can eat more than one of these delicious burgers without even blinking. There’s something about the sautéed onions and American cheese that just screams greatness!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large Vidalia onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 slices American cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and half of the salt and pepper. Saute until the onions are soft and lightly brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce a hot sauce, to taste. Cover and remove from heat.
- Form 4 burger patties and season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers until done.
- Top each burger with 1 slice of cheese and a good amount of onion. Add another piece of cheese and the remaining onion. Serve.
Calories: 653kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 2780mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 578mg | Iron: 5mg
Nutritional values are approximate.