Visit my other site, For The Wing, for all things chicken-wing!
I was mighty skeptical about pumpkin on chicken wings. Sure, I’m in the Halloween mood, but hey, are we sure we should be messing with my beloved chicken wings? Yes, yes we should is the answer, because chipotle pumpkin wings are just flat out crazy good. There’s a wonderful smoky heat from the chipotles, with just a hint of sweetness from the pumpkin. The pumpkin flavor is there, but it’s not like you’re going to think you’re eating grandma’s favorite pumpkin pie.
The chipotle pumpkin sauce is not only great on wings, but it is just as fantastic on ribs. Personally, I like heat, so I put quite a bit of chipotle in the sauce. Tone it back or add more depending on your tastes. The pumpkin flavor is subtle, so if you want it to be more pronounced add a bit more, but go slow.
Also try my (a bit different) drunken BBQ wings.
I absolutely love chicken wings, cooked any way, with any sauce (or without). I love them so much that I created a free eCookbook that is full of my favorite wing recipes.
Chipotle Pumpkin Wings
For the wings
For the Chipotle Pumpkin sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 7 ounce chipotle sauce or 4 chipotles, chopped, in adobo sauce, to taste
- 5 tablespoons canned pumpkin heaping
For the wings
- Place the wings into a resealable bag or container.
- Add wing rub and the oil.
- Seal and shake well to coat.
- Let wings marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Transfer cooked wings to a bowl and add sauce.
- Toss gently to coat.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
For the sauce
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk, heating thoroughly.
Nutritional values are approximate.