After making a delicious roasted red pepper hummus the other day, I decided to make a variation. This roasted garlic hummus was another big hit. Perfect for game-time snacking. I also like to pack a little for Anita to take in her lunches. Hummus holds up great and tastes just as good the next day.
I roasted the garlic for this hummus in my oven. I’m also a big fan of slow cooker roasted garlic. If I have a grill fired up, I’ll just throw it onto the grill for a while instead. There is no substitute for it so take the time to do it right.
Roasted Garlic Hummus
This roasted garlic hummus was a big hit. Perfect for game-time snacking. Hummus holds up great and tastes just as good the next day.
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic not roasted, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin more or less, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less, to taste
- Kosher salt
- 1 15 ounce chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cut about 1/4″ off the bottoms (non-root side) of the garlic, exposing the cloves. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil. Wrap in foil and put into the oven for about 45 minutes or until softened. Remove and let cool. Remove the roasted garlic by squeezing on the garlic bulb.
- Place lemon and Tahini into a food processor and puree for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor and puree for another 30 seconds.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and puree another 30 seconds.
- Open the can of peas. Drain the liquid into a cup, then rinse and drain well.
- Add half of the peas to the processor and run for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining peas and process another 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add in the roasted garlic. If the mixture is too thick, add a little bit of the reserved chickpea liquid, but not much.
- Serve drizzled with oil.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 88IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.