This Southern Kidney Bean Salad is another fantastic recipe from Paul Kirk’s book, Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness With 575 Lip-Smackin’ Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue. I recently posted a Creole pasta salad from the book, which is absolutely packed with over 500 great recipes. I highly recommend it.
This southern kidney bean salad is almost like a relish, with beans thrown in. It’s a contrast of many flavors. First thing I thought of when I tasted it was “Wow, this would go great on top of a grilled hot dog!”, so that’s what I’m going to do with it next. It would also be great on a pulled pork sandwich. And of course, it’s perfect as just a salad.
Southern Kidney Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing
- 15 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish a 1/4 cup is probably enough
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 large eggs hard-boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.