Homemade Chicken Stock
You can actually make stock for free, or close to free. Just keep the vegetable and chicken trimmings you accumulate thru the year in a bag or container in the freezer.
Servings 4 quarts
- Note: The following will fit into a 12-quart stock pot. You can double or triple the recipe for a larger stockpot.
- 3-4 pounds chicken cut into pieces, rinsed (Note: I also save the tips when I make chicken wings. Freeze them and throw them into the pot when making stock)
- 2 large onions skin on, quartered
- 2 large carrots unpeeled, rinsed
- 2 large celery ribs halved, rinsed
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 head garlic skin on, broken into cloves
Place all ingredients into a stockpot.
Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer and let simmer for 5-6 hours.
Scrape any fat off the top of the liquid.
Let pot cool for 2-3 hours then place in fridge overnight.
The following day, return pot to stove and heat until just warm. Scrape any fat that is present if desired.
Strain liquid and freeze.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 145mg | Potassium: 571mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6256IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg