Jose's Party Cheese Dip
Looking for a seriously big batch of rich, creamy, a-bit-spicy-but-not-too-spicy cheese dip for the big game? Well, this is it.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 pounds white cheese grated (you can substitute yellow shredded cheddar)
- 1 4 ounce jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder hot is better!
- Tortilla chips warmed, for serving
Melt butter in a large pot.
Add onion and saute until starting to soften.
Add garlic and cook another 1 minute.
Add flour, stir and cook another 1 minute.
Add cream and milk. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low.
Slowly add cheese, a small bit at a time, stirring constantly until melted. Do not add the cheese too quickly or the mixture will separate.
Add the remaining ingredients except chips and warm.
Serve with fresh hot tortilla chips. You can transfer the dip to a crockpot set on low for serving.
Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 792mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 882IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1mg