One of my favorite things to make for dinner is ‘fried’ chicken, like Sylvia’s crispy fried chicken using the Vortex on my Weber Performer grill. It’s about the easiest thing you can make. Just fire up, coat the chicken, place it on the grill and come back in 45 minutes or so to grab some delicious chicken. You’d swear it was fried in oil it’s so good. Crispy skin and tender, juicy meat. Perfect.
Sometimes I make my own coating and sometimes I just grab a box at the store. This time I went with Sylvia’s Crispy Fried Chicken mix and boy, was it ever fantastic. Not only crispy but seasoned perfectly. Good ole southern fried chicken flavor.
If you’re new to making fried chicken on the Vortex, Sylvia’s is an excellent way to get into the game. You’ll love, it trust me. I prefer to use bone-in, skin-on chicken things. They have the most flavor and the produce the moistest chicken you can imagine.
Sylvia's Crispy Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- 8 chicken pieces I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Sylvia's Crispy Fried Chicken Mix you'll need about half a bag
- Vegetable oil
- Fire up your Vortex. I fill mine completely with charcoal and light it using my homemade fire starter cubes, but whatever works for you works for you. Just make sure you get the coals good and hot.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and shake off any excess water.
- Place the coating mix in a pie pan or resealable bag.
- Working in batches roll the chicken in the mix or place in the bag, seal, and shake to coat.
- Transfer to the grill around the Vortex.
- Close the lid and cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F as measured in several places. You may rotate the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes if you wish but I've not found that it makes a big difference, specially on my 18" or 22" grills.
- Lightly brush the chicken with oil the last 5 minutes of cooking to help crisp up the skin.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.