This fire and ice salad has some spicy kick for sure. And crunch. It’s very good with just the right amount of vinegar (too much can be… too much!). Mustard seed and celery seed add a nice pickling flavor.
I’ve become a big fan of celery seed. It really kicks up salads, such as slaws or this fresh garden salad. Celery seed also finds its way into may of my rubs and seasonings, including my favorite Fire-Eater rub.
This fire and ice salad would be fantastic on fish tacos (you might want to cut the cukes down a bit) or a pulled pork BBQ sandwich.
Fire and Ice Salad
- 1 large tomato seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper sliced into thin rings
- 1 red onion sliced into thin rings
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cucumber sliced very thin (but not until you’re ready to serve!)
- Combine the tomato, bell pepper and onion in large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over high heat add the remaining ingredients except for the cucumber. Stir and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Remove dressing from heat and pour over the tomato mixture. Refrigerate for at least one hour or until cold.
- Serve tossed with sliced cucumber.
Nutritional values are approximate.