I have been enjoying great success with my new Nesco Snackmaster Pro. Of course the most popular items have been the various jerky flavors that I’ve made. And so far, I’ve just made jerky using beef. Not everyone can handle beef, so I decided to try my hand at making jerky using ground turkey. I have to say, I was pretty pessimistic going in. I’m not always a big fan of ground turkey (I think it’s a textural thing), but boy, were my fears unfounded! Ground turkey jerky (say it 10 times fast, it’s fun!) is absolutely fantastic! It’s tender, and oh so flavorful. Heck, Anita likes it better than my beef jerky.
You just can’t go wrong with ground turkey jerky. I can’t wait to make this again. I started using a standard almost-Slim Jim-like flavoring. Nice and neutral, without any heat, so it could be enjoyed by anyone. I’ll soon try other flavors with more kick, but there’s definitely nothing but good about this jerky.
Do not skip the final step of placing the dried jerky in the oven for 30 minutes. Better safe than sorry with poultry!
Check out my guide to using the Nesco Snackmaster Pro. You will be making fantastic jerky at home in no time at all!
- Place turkey in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and add to the turkey. Combine well.
- Transfer to a resealable container or baggie and refrigerate overnight.
- Load the meat into a jerky gun and squeeze out onto the Snackmaster Pro trays. Do not let the meat touch or overlap.
- Transfer trays to the Snackmaster Pro set on the highest temperature and dry for 6 hours. Test for doneness by bending the jerky. If it bends without tearing it is not dry enough. If it gives and starts to tear at the bend it is done.
- Preheat your oven to 170 F and place the jerky on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes to ensure safety.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.