I made this idea for a bratwurst bath up. I have no idea who or what influenced the idea, but I use this technique any time I grill bratwursts. Other than the beer, butter and onions I have no real recipe for this. Bell peppers/ Sure! Serrano peppers? Heck yeah! Whatever!
I should add that the leftover vegetables (if you have any) are also really great on top of hot dogs or hamburgers. I leave in or take out whatever vegetables I have on hand… you don’t have to make this exactly as it is written. I also like adding jalapeno, but I’ll leave it out depending on the crowd.
Also try my kraut-stuffed sausages. Yep, the kraut is inside!
- 1 sweet onion Vidalla is best, halved, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and sliced thin
- 2 jalapenos seeded and sliced thin
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 bottle beer
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper flake to taste
- 1 package bratwurst sausages
- 1 package brat rolls
- Combine all but the sausages, rolls and mustard in a large saucepan or disposable aluminum pan.
- Place over medium heat (I prefer to do this on the grill) and let simmer for at least 30 minutes or until the vegetables start to get tender. You want them to still have a little bite.
- Add the sausages and simmer for another 8-10 minutes or until done.
- Remove sausages to a grill over medium-high heat. Sear on all sides.
- Serve brats on rolls slathered with mustard.