This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I was not prepared for just how much we loved this Mexican macaroni salad. Sure, I looked at the ingredient list and thought “Hey, that’ll be good”. But I didn’t think it’d be absolutely fantastic. But it was. This is what every ole pasta salad you’ve ever had wished it was. Creamy, crunchy, savory, every bite is perfect. Oh, and it makes a HUGE batch, making it perfect for feeding a crowd!
I made only a small change to the original recipe for this Mexican macaroni salad. I wanted the contracting texture of cheese so I cubed a block of Monterey Jack cheese and added it in. Cheddar (mild or sharp) would also be excellent. I think you’d want it cubed, versus shredded, though, so you get a nice ‘bite’.
I recently discovered Blue Plate mayonnaise, which I think is the best around. If you can’t find it locally you can pick it up online for a fair price.
If I wanted a spicier version of this salad (and I do), I’d use a spicy salsa and add cubed pepperjack cheese instead.
Also try my Creole macaroni salad.
Mexican Macaroni Salad
For the salad
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or whatever pasta you prefer
- vegetable oil
- 2 ears sweet corn
- 15 ounces black beans drained, rinsed
- ½ cup black olives finely chopped
- 6 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ medium red onion finely diced
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese cubed (use pepperjack for a bit of a kick!)
For the salad
- Cook the pasta per package instructions. Drain but do not rinse.
- Meanwhile, roast the corn. Brush lightly with oil and place on a hot grill or under a broiler, rotating often until lightly browned and cooked.
- Let the corn cool slightly before cutting the kernels off the ears. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the beans, olives, tomatoes, green onion, red onion and cheese, if using. Toss gently to mix.
- Add the dressing and cooking pasta and stir gently to coat.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with additional green onions if desired. Note: If the salad is too thick, stir in some more salsa or mayonnaise before serving.
For the dressing
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Nutritional values are approximate.