I’ve been doing the best I can to keep our meals simple these days. These quick fix French bread pizzas have been a regular staple in our house since we’ve been keeping at home as much as possible. Once you have the bread, pizza sauce and cheese the rest is pretty much a blank canvas for whatever flavors you want to add. Usually for us that means Italian sausage (I like to brown it, then pulse it a few times in a food processor to get a finer texture… but not too fine!). And pepperoni. Oh and olives and mushrooms and maybe red onion. Nothing too crazy, but might good and darned comforting!
I like my quick fix French bread pizza to have a crunchy crust. To make sure the bread stays crunchy I shy away from wet toppings. If I do have to use something with a lot of moisture, like canned olives or mushrooms, I always dab them dry with a paper towel first.
I also believe that less pizza sauce is actually better on a pizza. I didn’t always think that way, but I do now. First, the crust stays crunchy. And second, the sauce doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the ingredients.
Quick Fix French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread cut lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- marinara sauce grab your favorite
- mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Place the bread cut-side up on a large baking sheet.
- Stir together the butter and garlic and brush onto the bread. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Brush the top of the bread with marinara sauce. Less is more, so don't over-sauce.
- Add your favorite toppings. Drier toppings (such as pepperoni slices and cooked, drained Italian sausage) are best. Pat your vegetables dry before adding.
- Add cheese and sprinkle with a little Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bread starts to get golden brown and crunchy.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 2-3 minutes before slicing and serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.