I could not even begin to tell you the last time I had Hamburger Helper Beef Noodle. No doubt it was back in my bachelor days, when even opening a box in preparation for dinner was a challenge. I ran across this recipe for copycat Hamburger Helper beef noodle and instantly realized I needed to make a copycat of those same flavors again. And this is it. Browned ground beef in a creamy, perfectly-seasoned sauce with wonderful perfectly-cooked egg noodles. This tastes exactly how I remember the original. Actually, it does taste even better.
You can pretty much put any pasta you want in this copycat Beef Noodle Hamburger Helper. I had half a bag of leftover Amish egg noodles that were absolutely perfect in this dish. You want the noodles to still have a bit of a ‘bite’ to them, so don’t over cook them. Mushy pasta won’t work here. Well, anywhere really….
If you long for the original, you still find it in stores and online. And there’s nothing wrong with it, either! Now they have all sorts of cool new flavors. Many more than there were to choose from when I was a young hungry lad that could barely open a can.
Copycat Hamburger Helper Beef Noodle
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 3 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet. Break into small pieces. Drain and excess fat once cooked.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Boil the water in a small pan on the stovetop or in the microwave. Remove from heat and add the bouillon cubes. Stir until dissolved. Add to the skillet with the beef and stir to combine.
- Add milk to skillet and stir.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the skillet and stir.
- Add the egg noodles. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Stir occasionally. If you need you may add more water, but add it sparingly.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before stirring and serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.