Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
Oh me. Where to even begin. Just thinking back to these apple pie baked beans has me wanting to make another batch on my Char-Broil Big Easy. Now. Right now. In just over an hour I could be enjoying these slightly sweet, flavor-packed beans. And so could a few others, because this recipe makes a big batch.
To make these apple pie baked beans, I needed a few things for my Big Easy. First, a Bunk Bed basket. This is the first thing you should buy after getting a Big Easy. It nearly doubles your cooking space and makes sides dishes like this one a breeze.
Next up, I needed pans for the beans. I recently discovered that Dutch oven line pans fit perfectly. They are 8″ in diameter and have tall sides so they hold a lot of food. They’re great so I ordered a big lot of them. I know I’ll use them up quick because I use my Big Easy a lot.
Apple Pie Baked Beans on the Char-Broil Big Easy
For the beans
- 16 ounce apple pie filling no sugar added
- 55 ounces baked beans original, not flavored
- 1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons favorite BBQ rub
- bell pepper chopped
- onion chopped
- jalapeno slices
- bacon cooked, chopped
- garlic minced
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Place pie filling into a blender and pulse a few times. You don't want to puree the filling, you just want to chop up the larger pieces of apple. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the beans, BBQ sauce and BBQ seasoning plus any add-ons if using. Stir to combine.
- Divide the bean mixture between two pans (they'll be completely fully) and carefully transfer the pans to the Big Easy basket and bunk bed basket.
- Lower the basket into the Big Easy and cook for 1 hour. If possible, stir the beans every 15 minutes or so. It can be hard to stir the bottom pan. Don't worry if you can't stir they'll be just fine either way. If you've added bell pepper or onion you might want to check if they've cooked to your liking. They might require another 15-30 minutes of cooking time.
- Once the beans are hot and bubbly remove the basket from the Big Easy.
- Let cool slightly before carefully removing the pans. Remember the pans are full and aren't rigid. Try to support the bottoms of the pans as you remove them.
Nutritional values are approximate.