Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
I’m a big fan of making beer-can chicken. I end up with tender, moist flavor-packed chicken every time. That’s why I was so intrigued with the idea of making beer-can cabbage on the Char-Broil Big Easy. Just like with chicken, the cabbage came out tender and tasty. Absolutely perfect, chopped and mounded on top of a pulled pork sandwich.
I used a head of purple cabbage to make my beer-can cabbage on the Char-Broil Big Easy. You want to make sure you get one that is big enough to hold a beer can. The can doesn’t have to fit entirely inside of the cabbage, but you want it to go at least three inches. The hardest part of making beer-can cabbage is definitely the process of hollowing out the center of the cabbage. You don’t want to hollow out too much, so be careful.
Of course, the stronger the beer, the stronger the beer flavor will be in the cooked cabbage. I used a very light American beer. Since I was using the cabbage on a pulled pork sandwich I didn’t want something overwhelming.
Love your Big Easy as much I love mine? Check out my Big Easy Add-Ons page and my free Big Easy eCookbook!
Beer-Can Cabbage on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 1 head cabbage purple or green
- 1 can beer
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Cut out the core of the cabbage.
- Open beer. Drink half and then place the can in the holder, if using.
- Using a spoon, carve out enough of the center of the cabbage so that the beer can (and holder) fit at least halfway inside the cabbage
- Insert the beer can.
- Rub the outside of the cabbage with a little bit of oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the Big Easy basket and lower into the cooker.
- Cook for 1 hour or until tender. (Test by carefully inserting a skewer).
- Carefully remove the basket from the Big Easy. You don’t want to spill the hot beer on yourself.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before removing the cabbage to chop or slice as desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.