What’s better than onions on a burger? Why, onion straws of course! And what’s better than ketchup on a burger? Why, Campfire sauce of course! Put the two on a hot-off-the-grill patty with good ole American cheese and you don’t have to call me twice for dinner. This copycat of Red Robin’s Haystack Tavern burger is mighty good stuff. Now, when you order it at the restaurant you usually get a double. I made mine a single. In hindsight I’m not sure why because one patty was great, but two would’ve been better!
You might have a bit of the Campfire left after you make your copycat Red Robin Haystack Tavern burgers. That’s a good thing. Slather it on sandwiches. Dip some fries in it. Put it on hot dogs.
I recommend making a few extra onion straws. Half of them won’t last long enough to make it to the burgers. Oh, and they’re great dipped in the Campfire sauce too!
Also try my copycat of Red Robin’s Royal Red Robin burger.
Copycat Red Robin’s Haystack Tavern Burger
For the burgers
For the burgers
- Season the patties with salt and pepper and cook as desired. Top with cheese.
- Toast the buns if desired.
- Slather the insides of the buns with the Campfire sauce.
- Add onion straws to bun bottoms. Add patties and top buns and serve.
For the Campfire sauce
- Combine all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the onion straws
- Place onion rings in a bowl. Add buttermilk to cover.
- Heat oil to 350 F.
- In a resealable container or bag add the flour, seasoning and salt. Shake to combine.
- Working in very small batches so as to not have the onion straws stick together, take a few onions out of the buttermilk and shake off the excess.
- Add to the flour mixture, seal and shake to coat.
- Transfer to the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack to drain.
Nutritional values are approximate.