I don’t know how much chicken you get when you order the crispy honey chicken at PF Chang’s. After taking a bite of this copycat version I knew how much I was going to get when I made it at home: a lot. The coating was perfectly crunchy. The chicken was moist, tender, with a hint of soy sauce. And the sauce, oh yes, the sauce, was a wonderful combination of Asian-inspired flavors with a hint of sweetness.
The next time I make this copycat PF Chang’s crispy honey chicken I might add just a bit of heat to the chicken seasoning. Not much, but I prefer a little kick with my sweet.
I served the chicken over my super-easy slow cooker rice.
Copycat PF Chang’s Crispy Honey Chicken
The coating was perfectly crunchy. The chicken was moist, tender, with a hint of soy sauce. And the sauce, oh yes, the sauce, was a wonderful combination of Asian-inspired flavors with a hint of sweetness.
Servings 4 servings
For the chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into chunks
- oil for frying
- rice cooked and warmed, for serving
For the batter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
For the chicken seasoning
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
For the chicken
- Place chicken into a resealable. container.
- Combine the chicken seasoning ingredients and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Seal and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Whisk together the batter ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 3″ of oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by whisking together all but the cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer. Whisk together the cornstarch and water and slowly whisk into the sauce.
- Let simmer until thickened then reduce heat.
- Keep warm until ready to use.
- Add chicken to batter and, working in batches, fry until done, about 5 minutes per piece. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack to drain.
- Serve chicken over rice with plenty of sauce.
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 1353mg | Potassium: 521mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 53g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutritional values are approximate.