The reviews for my mushroom jerky made on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro are in! And well… they’re mixed! So why am posting it? Well, because I’m one on the ‘thumbs up’ side! I thought these mushrooms came out very woodsy and very flavorful, with a hint of spice to them. I loved them right off the dehydrator, I thought they had a nice texture with a little ‘tug’ to them.
After they cooled the mushrooms took on a slightly different texture. I’d call it less “jerky-like”. But still tasty. I opted to freeze the leftovers. They’ll be absolutely perfect in pasta sauce, that’s for sure. Or anywhere you need dried mushrooms but want something a bit more flavorful than ‘just’ ole dried up fungi!
Also try my sun-dried tomatoes, also made using the Nesco Snackmaster Pro.
Mushroom Jerky on the Nesco Snackmaster Pro
- Slice the mushrooms into 1/2" thick slices.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large resealable container.
- Add the mushrooms and turn gently to coat.
- Seal and place in the fridge for 10-12 hours, turning gently every few hours.
- Fire up your Nesco Snackmaster Pro for 122 F. While you're waiting for the dehydrator to warm up remove the mushrooms from the marinade and place on a wire rack to drain.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the dehydrator trays. Unless you've scaled the recipe up you won't need many trays, but keep in mind you always need to use at least 4 trays when drying.
- Close the dehydrator and let run for 10 hours. I quadrupled the recipe and actually went 12 hours. You want the mushrooms to be pliable and chewy but not dried out.
- Let cool just slightly before enjoying. I actually preferred the mushrooms warm, they seemed to have a more enjoyable texture.
- Keep in an airtight container.
Nutritional values are approximate.