Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
Perhaps ‘carrot candy’ would be a better name for these maple bacon carrots, done up right using the Char-Broil Big Easy. Who knew that carrots could be so addictingly good? Slightly sweet, slightly smoky with a little crispy bacon, these maple bacon carrots on the Char-Broil Big Easy disappeared in no time. Fortunately you can fit up to two bunk bed baskets into a Big Easy so you can actually make a pretty good sized batch at once. You’ll want to make as many as you can.
I used baby carrots, but you can also use full-sized carrots. Try to pick ones that are all roughly the same size or your cook times will vary. That’s why I went with the baby version. They’re all roughly the same size so they all got done at the same time.
For a little kick, sprinkle the carrots with a little bit of cayenne pepper or chipotle pepper powder just before serving.
The bunk bed basket lets you double the amount of cooking space you have on your Big Easy. And it’s easy to take in and out of the cooker too!
Love your Big Easy as much I love mine? Check out my Big Easy Add-Ons page and my free Big Easy eCookbook!
Maple Bacon Carrots on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 1 pound carrots baby carrots or equally-sized big carrots, peeled and cut down to fit into a Big Easy
- 8 slices bacon cut into thirds for baby carrots, use full-sized pieces if using large carrots
- freshly ground black pepper
- Maple syrup
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Wrap carrots in bacon and sprinkle with pepper.
- Transfer carrots to the Big Easy basket, bacon seam side down.
- Place into the Big Easy and cook until the bacon starts to brown and shrink and the larger of the carrots is slightly tender, 25-30 minutes. I lifted the basket out and poked them with a long bamboo skewer.
- Brush the carrots with maple syrup. I use a long brush for this. Just lift the basket up, holding it with one hand, and brush with the other. Return to the cooker and cook another 3 minutes.
- Remove the basket from the Big Easy and remove the carrots to a platter to cool a bit. The bacon will crisp while they cool.
Nutritional values are approximate.