Italian olive salad is a wonderful thing. Although I use it pretty much exclusively on sandwiches, you can also mix it with pasta for a great salad. There’s a great mix of textures and tastes, from crunchy carrots to rich Kalamata olives, to the kick of pickled cauliflower and pepperoncinis. Although it’s a little work, and takes a few ingredients, this salad is the best there is. Make sure to let it set overnight before using it.
Italian Olive Salad
- 1 quart large pimiento-stuffed olives drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Kalamata olives drained, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil you may need a bit more
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pickled cauliflower drained, coarsely chopped
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 2 large carrots peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup cocktail onions drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup small capers drained
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flake
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a large seal-able bowl.
- Let set in fridge overnight, stirring occasionally. Add more oil, in very small quantities, if the mixture gets too dry.