Now THIS is a hot dog. You’ve got your smokey crispy bacon. There’s sauteed sweet onions and mushrooms. And cheese. Add a grilled all-beef dog (or your hot dog of choice) and you’ve got a Cowboy hot dog you can not only enjoy, but be proud of.
You don’t really need any condiments to top off your Cowboy hot dog. Dijon mustard would be great, if you have to. Or BBQ sauce. But really, they’re great just as they are.
My German cowboy hots dogs aren’t anything to sneeze at either!
Love hot dogs as much as I do? Check out my free eCookbook that is packed with tons of hot dog recipes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled or chopped
- Heat the oil in two medium skillets over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt.
- Add the onion to one skillet. Stir and saute until softened and golden in color.
- Meanwhile, add the mushrooms to the other skillet. Stir and saute until the mushrooms are softened.
- Remove onions and mushrooms from heat.
- Cook your hot dogs as desired. Toast the buns if desired.
- Place dogs in buns. Top with onion, mushrooms, cheese and crumbled bacon.