I may have a slight obsession with the show Carnival Eats on the Cooking Channel. Noah Cappe, the host, has the dream job of traveling around sampling yummy and different fair foods. Like these Country Breakfast Tots he discovered at the Tot Spot food truck at the Georgia National Fair. I made them as soon as I saw them on the King Crab and I episode. Just tater tots, bacon, sausage gravy and fried eggs. Well, not “just”. This is the breakfast dreams are made of.
Country breakfast tots isn’t your light-and-fru-fru breakfast item. Obviously. This is the kind of dish I craved back in my younger years working on a dairy farm. I needed food and lots of it because each day had me working hard. Come to think of it, I haven’t worked that hard since. Farming ain’t easy.
Also try my Biscuits + Groovy food truck-inspired Donna Summer, a crazy good breakfast dish!
Country Breakfast Tots
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 cups frozen tater tots heated per package instructions
- 8 large eggs
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk or more
- kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 green onions sliced, for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble or chop.
- Working in batches (I assume your skillet can cook 4 eggs at a time. If not, cook only 2-3 at a time), crack an egg into the hot skillet. Let it cook for 30 seconds or until the edges are set. Add another egg and also wait 30 seconds. Continue the same process with 2 more eggs. Slightly tilt the pan and spoon the hot oil over the top of the eggs for another minute. Remove the cooked eggs once each has cooked for a total of 3 minutes. Cook the remaining 4 eggs in the same manner.
- Crumble the sausage into the same skillet and cook until done, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the butter to the skillet and melt. Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until warmed. Return the sausage to the skillet and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve by dividing the tater tots between 4 plates. Top with the bacon, sausage gravy and eggs. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with sliced green onions. Serve.