This is quite easily and most definitely the best cream of mushroom soup we’ve ever had. Eating it was an absolute pleasure. Packed with mushroom flavor and velvety smooth, it’s divine. Perfect on a cool fall day with flurries coming down.
It’s hard to take a great picture of what is essentially a brown soup, but I tried. The picture definitely does not do the flavor of this cream of mushroom soup justice. No picture could.
To get such great mushroom flavor, this soup is packed with mushrooms, both fresh and dried that have been reconstituted. If you really, really love meaty mushrooms, then you’ll love this soup right out of the pot. If you love mushrooms but don’t prefer a lot of them, serve the creamy soup with a few spoonfuls of the mushrooms added in at the end.
Also try my delicious cream of celery soup.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 ounces dried Porcini mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 8 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms sliced thin
- 8 ounces Shitake mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the dried porcini mushrooms into a small bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to allow to reconstitute until soft. Reserve the liquid and slice the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, warm the chicken stock in a small pot.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir. The mixture will get thick.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the warmed chicken stock, the liquid from the reconstituted porcini mushrooms, and the heavy cream..
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serving: There are a lot of mushrooms in this soup. They are needed to give it such a fantastic mushroom flavor, but if you find them to be too much in the soup, just serve the creamy liquid portion with as little or as much of the mushroom 'meat' as you wish. We enjoyed the soup served both ways, with or without the mushrooms.