These roasted garlic mashed potatoes are outstanding. The roasted, savory flavor of these potatoes make them the perfect side. They also pass the ‘gravy lake test’, holding a nice big serving of gravy without getting runny. Rule #1: You can’t have too much gravy. Rule #2: You can’t have too much mashed potatoes.
I roasted the garlic for these mashed potatoes in the oven, but you can also make a big batch of roasted garlic in no time by using your slow cooker. Either way, you’ll get that wonderful garlic aroma and flavor!
We served these with the delicious gravy from the mushroom pork tenderloins we made. And roasted carrots on the side.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
These roasted garlic mashed potatoes are outstanding. The roasted, savory flavor of these potatoes make them the perfect side. They also pass the ‘gravy lake test’, holding a nice big serving of gravy without getting runny.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil more or less
- 2 pounds russet potatoes quartered (and peeled if you desire)
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- parsley chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic and place the head onto a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle the garlic with oil and seal inside the foil. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until very tender.
- Remove the garlic from the oven. Open the pouch and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Lightly chop the potatoes and return them to the (now empty) large pot.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the parsley. Also squeeze in the cloves of roasted garlic.
- Blend with a handheld mixer or potato masher until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 518mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 42IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.