This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Wow. Slow cooker caramelized onions were so much better than I ever thought they could be. They were incredibly tasty. And perfect on grilled cheese sandwiches. And on burgers, in French onion dip or soup. Any recipe that calls for onions needs caramelized onions.
You might get thrown out of a fancy (or actually, even a not-so-fancy) restaurant kitchen if you suggested making slow cooker caramelized onions. But you won’t get thrown out of my kitchen. I’d make these again in a heartbeat. My favorite onions to use are Vidalia onions, but unfortunately they aren’t available for very long each year.
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
- Add onions to slow cooker set on Low.
- Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt and thyme, if using.
- Stir and cover and cook 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If you desire a darker, richer color, remove the lid from the cooker cook another hour or two stirring often.
- Keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Nutritional values are approximate.