Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
I picked up a set of kabob holders for my Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer from Amazon the other day. I’m always excited to try something new in my Big Easy. Besides roasting some red potatoes (hiding in the background in the first picture below), I decided to use the kabobs to make some super-easy (and tasty) sausage sandwiches. I grabbed some fresh Italian sausages, a few bell peppers and a sweet onion, skewered them and lowered them into my Big Easy. About twenty minutes later my sausage sandwiches on the Char-Broil Big Easy was done.
I chopped up the peppers and onion and mixed them with a bit of Zatarain’s Creole mustard and some Zatarain’s Hearty Spicy Brown mustard. The combination of the two mustards (I call it Spicy Breole mustard….) is fantastic. A serious kick with serious mustard flavor. Served on a toasted hoagie roll. Oh, and I also made these same sandwiches using smoked sausage (as shown below). Perfect!
If you don’t have a set of kabobs for the Big Easy, you can also make these great sandwiches using the standard basket along with the available bunk basket, which gives you a lot more cooking space.
Sausage Sandwiches from the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 3 Italian sausages or your favorite sausage
- 1 green bell pepper cut into wide strips
- 1 red bell pepper cut into wide strips
- 1 medium sweet onion quartered
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 3 Hoagie rolls toasted if desired
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Thread the sausages, pepper strips, and onion onto the kabobs.
- Lower into the Big Easy and cook for about 20 minutes or until the sausage reaches 150-155 F internal temperature and the peppers and onion have started to soften and char.
- Remove from the Big Easy.
- Chop the peppers and onion and place in a large bowl. Stir in the mustards.
- Serve sausages on rolls topped with plenty of the veggie-mustard mix.
Nutritional values are approximate.