I love Louisiana gulf shrimp. Nothing tastes better, in my opinion, and it’s night-and-day different than the ‘other’ shrimp you get in your grocer’s freezer. It’s probably sacrilege then to have used a bottled salsa in this dish, but time was of the essence the night I made it. And I was very happy with the end result. This Caribbean shrimp pasta tastes and feels light despite having a bit of cream added in. The cilantro, avocado and peach mango salsa give it that fresh, tropical feel.
You could easily make this a completely different dish just by using a different fruit salsa, such as citrus pineapple, or mango and habanero.
Caribbean Shrimp Pasta
This Caribbean shrimp pasta tastes and feels light despite having a bit of cream added in. The cilantro, avocado and peach mango salsa give it that fresh, tropical feel.
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp peeled, deveined, tails removed. I used large, 20-24 count shrimp
- Kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth 1 small can
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 16 ounce peach mango salsa
- ½ pound pasta angel hair, linguini, etc
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- Place the shrimp into a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some of the flour over the shrimp and toss to coat. Continue adding flour and tossing the shrimp until they are coated and are no longer sticky.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp but do not overlap them. If you have to, work in batches.
- Cook the shrimp about 2 minutes per side until they are pink and the coating has started to crust. Flip and cook the other side until pink and the coating crusts. Remove to a plate.
- Add the broth to the skillet then stir in the cream, salsa and pasta.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked through.
- Add the shrimp and remove from heat. Stir and serve topped with avocado and cilantro.
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 510mg | Sodium: 2108mg | Potassium: 713mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1218IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 308mg | Iron: 5mg
Nutritional values are approximate.