We both really enjoyed this copycat Applebee’s Clubhouse Grille sandwich. I had plenty of smoked turkey on hand after smoking a few turkey breasts. The light smoke flavor of the very tender turkey, along with gooey cheese and the best part, a bit of smoky BBQ sauce, really made for a great sandwich. It’s like a grownup take on a grilled cheese.
Any ‘plain’ sandwich can have that little extra something just by adding a bit of BBQ sauce to it. Not a lot, you’re not making a pulled pork sandwich. But just enough so you know it is there. You’ll remember it more than just a sandwich just say, mayonnaise.
Also try my copycat of Applebee’s classic patty melt.
Copycat Applebee’s Clubhouse Grille
- 2 slices bread nice and thick
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons your favorite BBQ sauce I used Weber’s Hickory Smoke sauce
- 3 slices ham
- 3 slices turkey
- 1 slice extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slice Jack cheese
- 2 slices bacon cooked
- 2 slices tomato
- iceberg lettuce
- avocado sliced, optional
- Warm a skillet over medium-high heat or fire up a griddle on your grill.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of toast.
- Place butter side down onto the skillet and cook until the butter is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Remove to a plate, butter sides down. Slather one bread slice’s un-buttered side with mayonnaise and the other slice’s with the BBQ sauce.
- Add ham, turkey and cheeses to skillet all in a pile.
- Heat until the cheeses start to melt.
- Remove and place on top of a bread slice.
- Top with bacon, tomato and lettuce and serve.
- Optional: Add a few thin slices of avocado!
Nutritional values are approximate.