This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
The Mount Vesuvius burger was available at Red Robin for a limited time years ago. It was ‘invented’ by a 12-year old. At 12 I was not inventing crazy-good burgers, or even horribly-bad burgers. Hat’s off to the young man that came up with this great burger, which combines the tang of blue cheese, the smoky flavors of bacon and provolone, and the serious kick of a spicy sauce.
As I’ve said before, the sign of a good burger is just how messy it is when you eat it. Well, you don’t have to look at this burger for too long to realize just how good (er…. messy) it is going to be when you bite into it.
Want a cool variation to this already great Mount Vesuvius burger? Add some French fried onions for a great crunch.
Mount Vesuvius Burger
For the burgers
- 4 patties beef burger 4 ounces each
- 2 hamburger buns
- 4 strips bacon cooked
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- blue cheese crumbled, or substitute Gorgonzola
For the burgers
- Cook patties as desired. Toast buns if desired.
- Assemble burgers by first slathering the bottom buns with the sauce.
- Add a burger, a slice of provolone and the bacon.
- Add the other patty and the remaining provolone cheese.
- Add more sauce and the cheese crumbles. Add the bun top and serve with plenty of napkins.
For the lava sauce
- Combine all ingredients. Heat in a small saucepan if you wish to serve the sauce warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.