It was a cold day. The kind of day that screams stick-to-your-ribs comfort food. These slow cooker stuffed cabbage rolls hit the spot and then some. They’re pretty easy to assemble. They really couldn’t get any easier to cook. And best of all, they are the perfect cold-day food. Ground pork and beef get mixed together with rice and a few tasty spices to make a tender, flavor-packed stuffing. The rolls are bathed in a wonderful tomato sauce that reminds you of tomato soup (for a reason, since it contains tomato soup). You can’t eat just one, that’s for sure! You’ll want to load up your slow cooker and get to cookin’!
The next time I make slow cooker stuffed cabbage rolls I might add a bit of heat to spice things up a bit. A little hot sauce maybe? I’m not quite sure. They’re mighty good as they are. I am sure I’d double the amount of sauce, though. The sauce is mighty darned good. And when there’s sauce, there should be soppin’! So make some garlic bread or Texas toast and get ready for some soppin’ good deliciousness!
Also try my roasted cabbage wedges with onion Cajun sauce.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
For the cabbage rolls
- 1 head green cabbage large
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup onion minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ pound ground beef lean
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- dried red pepper flake or hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove the core from the cabbage but keep the leaves intact.
- Carefully lower the cabbage into the water. Boil for 2 minutes then remove and let cool slightly before gently removing any softened leaves that will come off without tearing, Return the head to the water and continue boiling/removing leaves until you have 12 nice large leaves.
- Chop any remaining cabbage and use it to line the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Place the remaining cabbage roll ingredients into a large bowl and combine well.
- Working in batches, lay out a cabbage leaf and spoon 1/3 cup of the meat mixture into the middle. Roll the leaf up like a burrito, folding the sides in to seal it as you go. Place into your slow cooker, seam-side down.
- Place cooker on low. Add the sauce (see below), cover, and cook for 8 hours.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving with sauce spoon over the tops.
For the sauce
- Whisk together all ingredients.
Nutritional values are approximate.